Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Blog post 6

Visual Merchandising 120
9/4/12
Blog Post 5



After discussing our ideas from last week and deciding on a visual display theme, I took a trip to Hobby Lobby to find some of the materials that will provide our Chocolate Forest with the greatest image possible. In the floral section of the store I found two options for apples that will be hanging for the branches of our tree: individual and bagged artificial apples. Both options were large in size and had the correct color, but I found that they were expensive as well. Each individual apple was $7.99 and a bag of 5 was 10.99. Depending on how many apples we decide to use, they might cost quite a bit.
While at Hobby Lobby I also looked for moss that can be used on the ground of our Chocolate Forrest. The bagged spanish moss I found, i think would look great! There were several different types as well as colors, but I liked the one pictured above. Each bag was priced at $5.99, which is in our budget. I think the addition of the moss will give dimension and texture to the display and truely make it look like a forrest.




To achieve a "chocolate dipped" appearance, I found a 1 pound package of paraffin wax ($4.29) that is able to be melted. Dye then can be added to the melted wax for a brown color. By simply coating the outside of the artificial apples the wax will give the effect we are looking for. The dye is fairly inexpensive at $4.99 a package. 



No comments:

Post a Comment